The Logical Philosopher

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Slow down, you move to fast...

"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."
- Robert Frost

Consider this: In an organized day we can usually burn through our "to-do" lists or other things we need to get done, because it is "that day of the week". It's Tuesday so make sure you get the kids to soccer practice...but it's some season-or-other public entertainment event that also needs attending...need milk from the store because you're out...going to rain this week so put away the summer furniture...you get the picture. Go go go go go...then sleep . We all know it's busy time, so we make time for ourselves by getting a Starbucks (to go). Last week I was downtown and, for a variety of reasons, was an hour early for an appointment. So, with all that spare time I sat at the coffee shop (outside of course) & watched everyone bustling about focused on their consumerism (will be worse at Christmas). I admit, the first few minutes were agonizing as I started to go through the five stages of emotion about sitting for so long (loosely adapted from Elisabeth Kubler-Ross 1969 book):

  • Denial: I can't sit here! I have things to do, promises to get done, how did I let a precious hour get lost this way?! This isn't happening to me!
  • Anger: Awww crap - why is this happening to me. I must be able to use this hour doing something.
  • Bargaining: I'd be a better person if I could make use of this time...
  • Depression: well, not really but...I don't care if I waste this time
  • Acceptance: Ok, I've got this time, so what can I do to detox from the daily grind and enjoy it?

All that within an hour, but at the end it was worth it. Like Ferris Bueller said "
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." Well said Ferris. So next time you don't have some free time, make some and just sit at the storefront. Yes, lots to do before sleep but there are promises that need done, and there are promises that can wait...you got to make the moment last, baby.

0 comments: