The Logical Philosopher

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Double Dipping


Little LP and I decided to go to the grandparents today to hang out and watch cartoons. Since we don’t have a TV that gets any channels apart from the DVD input, a visit to the grandparents means nothing but zoning to Treehouse.

On the way there I asked him if he wanted to stop for a slurpee.

He tilted his head and though for a moment before answering. "Sure, but can you go to the gas station that is by the highway?" I figured that the multiple stops I have made in his 4 year old life were finally embedded into his head as to which slurpee stores we stop at depending on which direction we are heading.

Pulling into the store I heard from the backseat “Actually dad, I don’t want a Slurpee, I want some Scooby Doo candy.”

Not wanting to disappoint I tried the parental ‘let-down technique’ in case they didn’t have exactly what the four year old mind was dead set on having. “Well, if they have any, but I’m not sure they do.”

Entering the store he ran ahead of me, down the second aisle and stopped right at the spot where some Scooby Doo gummy candy was hanging. Pulling it off the rack he looked at me with a huge grin and squealed. “See dad, look. Can I get these?”

As I was paying the cashier peered down at him and said “You got a nice haircut buddy! You look much better than before.”

Oblivious to the comment he was focused on his new candy. “Thanks, and more treats too!”

“More treats?” I asked. “What’s that about?”

“Well mom and I came in this morning to get money from the money machine, and I got some Scooby Doo treats for when I was going to get my hair cut.”

I looked over at the cashier and he nodded to me. “He’s been double dipping dad. Looks like you got played!”

Sure enough when we got back into the car I noticed an empty Scooby Doo candy wrapper on the floor by his car seat. I looked over at him and asked “How come you didn’t tell me you already came here?”

“Well dad, you didn’t ask.”

So true. I think when he gets older he's going to be one of those kids that doesn't give you the change from the store unless you ask for it.

0 comments: