The Logical Philosopher

Sunday, December 16, 2007

One down, two to go!

While the snowstorm subsided (and turned to flooding) I still am busy working out the details and subject-to's of a potential property purchase.

  • On the property front things have been going well, considering I am trying to coordinate the water, septic and other tests while I am 200km's away.
  • I have also spent the past 2 weeks dealing with the police and lawyer for my tenant, trying to negotiate getting her stuff moved out so I can re-rent the condo and not go through the courts to get her tossed out. While I do work with corporate lawyers most of the week in my job and have little problems with the profession, the criminal one I have been dealing with definitely wins the most "unhelpful lawyer of the year" award. Here's how our conversation(s) went**:

    "So can you inquire with your client about arranging removal of her items?"

    "I'm sorry, I can't comment on that."

    "You can't comment, or don't know, or do know and won't say?"

    "I'm sorry, I can't comment on that either."

    "So what you're saying is you don't know."

    "I can't comment on that either. You'll have to do what you have to do."

    "So you are saying I should go and get an Order of Possession and take your client's stuff?"

    "I can't comment on that either."

    THEN on Friday afternoon I get a voicemail from the lawyer.

    "I talked with my client and you have permission to move her items into storage."

    No mention of how to move it.
    No mention of where to move it.
    No mention of who is paying for it.
    No mention of how long I have to store it.

    If I did call to inquire about the above, I am sure her reply would include the phrase "no comment."

    I hope the property sale goes through because I will need a vacation from the tenant fiasco when this month is over. Next week will be the make or break for both points. Wish me luck.


    **Disclaimer: Since I am quoting a lawyer who sounded like she would sue me at the drop of the hat, please not I am paraphrasing, and the conversation may not have gone exactly as quoted. There may, in fact, been one or two more "I can't comment on that" than I recall.

  • 0 comments: