The Logical Philosopher

Friday, May 26, 2006

Go be a tourist, but without disturbing me please.

With the smell of saltwater in the air, I sat on the upper deck, enjoying a quiet moment to myself in the sun. As we neared Active Pass we passed a cluster of fishing boats bobbing in a cove, the multitude of lines giving them the appearance of some inverse puppet show being put on for our boating pleasure.

My zen like state was shattered by the an announcement by the Captain. It was shortly followed by a stampede of passengers rushing excitedly out of the cabin onto my deck.

"Attention please, this is your Captain speaking. We've just been informed that there is a pod of killer whales on the far side of the Pass. You should be able to get a good look at them in about four minutes."

A woman, frenzied by the announcement ran up to me. "Did you hear that?" she breathlessly exclaimed as she pulled out her camera. "Killer whales! I'm soooo excited. I've never seen anything like this before!"

"Yep." I slowly replied. I was more enthralled by the fact that it would be over soon and everyone would go back inside so I could have the deck back to myself. Whales or no whales, I was already having a zen moment before they showed up to blow their holes for us.

Sure enough, as we exited the Pass there was a small pod, about 4 whales frolicking in the currents. The woman next to me just about when nuts. "My friends are going to be so jealous that I saw some killer whales!"

"Mmmm, I bet. Where are you from?" I inquired, thinking somewhere like Saskatchewan or Montana.

"Oh, just Vancouver."

I paused... "Recently moved here?" I added.

"No, lived here about 13 years. Why do you ask?"

"No reason." I replied, wondering how that was possible. For those who were sleeping in Geography class, Vancouver is one of Canada's bigger cities - and it is located right on the water. I don't know how the heck you could live in Vancouver and not see a killer whale at some point. It would be like living in San Francisco and not seeing the Golden Gate Bridge if you were out for a stroll on the beach. If you're around long enough, you will see them. But 13 years?

I sighed. I live in a beautiful part of the world; people travel from far and wide to see the sights and enjoy the natural beauty I get to see every day.

So I ask: What's in your town that you haven't seen yet?

Life is short. Go be a tourist. Put please, just don't disturb the zen like passengers next to you, for they may have already seen the sights and are there just to relax.

0 comments: