The Logical Philosopher

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Not Cool Enough for a Threesome

Last post I found my mojo. This post I lost it.

What a roller coaster week.

Scene 1: At the computer in the kitchen

I have one friend, M, who will ping me with an Instant Message, day or night, whenever he comes online. Even if it is just a "Good Morning LP!" Since M and his wife K live out of town, I use MSN to chat and keep up to date on the latest gossip.

M recently took a trip to Europe for work, but still managed to drop me a MSN nudge when he was online with his laptop. On the home front K had been updating her MSN profile daily with a note about how she was excited to see M in 5, 4, 3... number of sleeps. She was telling me instead of overseas phone calls they just would video conference using MSN. Technology supported love at its best!

Very late one evening in North America I noticed M had just signed in. Being early in Europe, I surmised he was just starting his day so I clicked on his avatar to give him a ping and sent a request to start a IM conversation. Uncharacteristically he didn't reply right away, so I pinged him a few more times to see what could be keeping him. Attached is the following transcript of my conversation:

LP [pinging M]: What's up in Europe?

There was no reply from M, so I thought I should try one more time before signing off and heading to bed.

LP [pinging M]: I see K's countdown to see you is almost at day zero, when are you flying back?

Then, out of the blue I got this instant message from his wife:

K: LP, stop pinging my man! I'm on video conference with him !!!

LP: Oh,

K: You'll have to wait until I'm done! ! !

LP: You can conference me in you know... all 3 of us can get cozy on MSN!

K [after a slight pause]: M says no go! Wait your turn!

LP: So what you're saying is I'm not cool enough to even have a digital threesome with you guys.
K: Nope :)

With that last smiley I realized my recently acquired mojo had evaporated away into the digital environment. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Scene 2: Corner of Robson & Burrard

Then, out of town with friends a few days later, three of us were discussing where to meet up at the end of our post Boxing Day shopping spree.

"I'll be done by 4, can we meet then?"

"I don't think I'll be finished by then, and I want to stay in the Chapters reading books for free instead of buying them."

"Wait, why don't you just IM me on my phone!"

"Oh, you're right. OK, everybody just IM everyone when you're done shopping and ready to meet up!"

Once settled, and after a moment's pause a thoughtful comment was put out to the group of us. "We're like 12 year olds with our instant messaging!"

"Yes, but since we're all over 30, we're like 12 year olds with MONEY! 30 is the new 12!"

Conculsion:

So it is settled. I have no mojo, IM like a 12 year old, but to make up for it I have money. Curses!

0 comments: