The Logical Philosopher

Sunday, January 01, 2006

No regrets

Overheard at the bar last month: Don't you hate it when you wake up the next morning with your date next to you and the following conversation ensues: He says "I feel guilty." You respond "But why?" His slow reply "Well the ex really isn't an ex....". Ohhh...

It's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.
New Years is upon us and blogs are abound with new years lists and resolutions - I hate it already. I am not one for New Year resolutions, as believe if you really want to do something you obviously don't want to do it if you need to wait for a new year to start doing it...in other words if you don't have enough willpower to put down the Krispy Kreme and get on a bike then get off the biking path and make room for those who really want to be out there. And no, I'm not talking about celebrities dressed up as obese people and acting out in public.
If your motivation to do things is a New Year's resolution, I suggest you are setting yourself up for failure.

You may have noticed my '43 Things' listing on the sidebar. No, the aren't my New Year resolutions, but rather a short term, dynamic and evolving, "to experience and accomplish" list. If you come back and read this posting in a year it will have totally changed - some will have been removed and others added.

Like Stephen Covey said, "Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will burn very briefly."

So, as you move into the New Year I hope you get to accomplish what you really want to do, and that your motivation doesn't fade with the passing months. I'm looking forward to the next year, in particular blogging and writing more. It motivates me from within...so look for some exciting, humorous and insightful posts coming up...

Coming up this month: the story about the transsexual and homeless man at the public library. What a visual. I wish I missed it but like a horrific traffic accident sometimes you just can't peel your eyes away from the carnage.

0 comments: