The Logical Philosopher

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Proof that evolution can go in reverse

Now I know how identity theft happens - really moronic customer service agents. The following actually happened to me today when I called to cancel one of my cell phones:

ring. ring. ring.

"Hello, my name is Lisa. How can I help you today?"

"Yes, I'd like to cancel one of my cell phone accounts."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What's the phone number you want to cancel?"

"It's 555-1292"

"Ok...let me pull you up in the system here." pause "Ok Mr. Philosopher, it appears you don't have a PIN on this account so I'm not sure how to verify who you are."

"Well..."

"You will need a PIN number to do anything on this account."

"Ok...can I just make one up now?"

"Sure."

"How about 1234?" I wonder if I offer a penny for her thoughts I will get change back?

"That's great. Thank you very much. I will have that account terminated at the end of the day. If you call back on the account, please remember your PIN account so we can verify who you are."

click. Get rich quick plan foiled: no chance to get some change from the penny for her thoughts.

WTF? Nice security! I think I'm going to call the cell phone company as some people I don't like and cancel some accounts. That should fill my afternoon...

0 comments: