The Logical Philosopher

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Fake Traffic and self-important business cards

I ran into an old "acquaintance" this week that I had not seen for about 12 years. We briefly spoke, politely asking about each others kids and current state of life. Then he gave me a business card and said "Keep in touch!"

WTF? After 12 years that's the best you can do? What's the point of that? Why not just say the truth - "see you in another 12, assuming the law of averages works and we randomly cross paths again." In retrospect I think he was trying to impress me with his job title. Good thing I told him I didn't have a card to trade, even though I didn't bother to look to see if I did.

It reminded me of a blog post at Gaping Void that I read back in January:

Most bloggers are assholes, we just pretend to like each other because it's good for traffic.

<start blogging plug> Well said Gaping Void! They have lots of other good things at their site, don't forget to check them out!!! <.end blogging plug>

Putting these 2 together I think I am going to try a social experiment: I'm going to get a bunch of Logical Philosopher business cards printed up with a really important title and start handing them out downtown to all old "acquaintances" I can possibly track down. I will attempt to dupe them with inflated self importance with my firm, SPERTA Management Consulting.

Any takers on joining the experimental firm? I'm going to get business cards printed next week. And yes Sandritia, you will get automatic partner status.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say, this is going to be SWEEET!

0 comments: